Sunday, May 27, 2007

More on Ribs

I have had a few rib disasters recently. Although I do many things well on the cooking front, I am BBQ challenged. When I think of me doing BBQ the word "black" comes to mind. It's not a good thing.

I have books on BBQ. I've watched Bobby Flay to the point where I almost like him, but not quite that far. I've talked with Old Hands who tell me useful stuff like "You gots to feel the BBQ, boy!" Yeah, all I feel is the heat from the family when they say, ewwwwwwww, it's all black.

I've tried rubs, wet mops, dry mops, smoking, unsmoked, direct heat, indirect heat and psychic energy (see the Night of the Raw Ribs). The result is either insipid or black.

Time to cue the Beatles.

Little darlin' it's been a long, long black rib job.
Little darlin' it's been a real bad rib you ett.
Here comes the Sun... (dinky, donky)
Here comes the Sun, oh Mama,
It's all right, it's done to per-fect-shun!

First, the rub. It's a fine, fine rub I do than I've ever done before. It appears that the secret is Brown Sugar. Cue the Rolling Stones.

Second, the cooking. Grill the ribs for 7 minutes on each side over the FLAMES!

Third, move the ribs off the heat and bake, closed, for a couple of hours at 300 degrees or less. Less temp, more time.

Finally, enclose the ribs in foil, add the BBQ sauce mixture (a family secret) and bake for a further 10 minutes)

Allow to rest for 5 minutes and serve.

Here's the "family" recipe (today) for BBQ sauce: 4 oz KC Masterpiece, 4 oz Raspberry Chipotle sauce, 2 oz brandy. Heat, mix and baste.

I think my Black Era was from basting the meat too soon with a tomato-based mixture which caramelized and, essentially, burned. Also, I might have had the meat too close to the direct fire. Providing the BBQ part at the end seems to give the best results, at least for this house.

One final note about rubs. My best experience has been with rubs where the prime ingredient is brown sugar and not salt. Some rubs come out very bitter or too salty. I will experiment with taking salty rubs and cutting them with brown sugar.

Having said that, when I announce that I'm experimenting with a rib recipe the most common response is that "we're eating out tonight. See ya later!"

Where's the adventure, huh?

No comments: