Thursday, November 07, 2019

Nitrogen Tires

Really.  Nitrogen tires is a thing?

Apparently so.

My new Acura sports "nitrogen filled" tires.  Seems that 79% Nitrogen and 21% Oxygen plus some trace elements and water vapor isn't good enough.

Well, la-de-DAH!

The story is that nitrogen filled tires leak less (who knew) and are less prone to temperature change.  The first part may be true but the second is definitely not!  When the temperature in Texas dropped from a normal 90-degrees F to 50, my tires went from 35 psi to 29 psi, triggering the "low pressure" sensor thus causing the car to scream, "Low Pressure!  Low Pressure!"

Nothing I could do about it.  I don't have a nitrogen compressor in my garage.

So, I had to take my car with low pressure tires to the Acura dealership to have them dealt with.  Srsly, I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever taken my car to a dealership to have the tires filled up.  Yet, here I am in the FUTURE doing exactly that.  Oh, the humanity!

The service manager was quite jolly about it.  "We get this all the time in winter.  No big deal.  Just bring your car in and we'll top up those tires no charge.

Sure enough, 10 minutes later I was on my way riding on 35 psi of nitrogen and not a care in the world.  Yeah, now I pity the little people who have to exist on common air.  How awful their lives must be.

No comments: