Friday, November 11, 2011

Mega Price Drop

Back in the day, 1986 to be exact, I purchased my first computer hard drive for the astounding price of ONLY $1200! Yes, folks, a whopping 20 megabytes for a mere $1200. I couldn't believe it was so cheap, only $60 per megabyte.

Just today, 2011 to be exact, I purchased my most recent computer hard drive for the astounding price of ONLY $160! Yes, folks, a whopping 1 terabyte for a mere $160. I couldn't believe it was so cheap, only 0.016 cent per megabyte.

What? Sixteen thousandths of a cent per megabyte?

Well, yeah, times have changed. It used to be that a terabyte was what you got in 1,000,000 years BC if you couldn't run fast enough.

I know that in 10 years I'll look back on my amazement at buying a terabyte for 160-bucks in the same light a I look back on my first disc drive today. Why, I've got pictures of my cat that take up 20 megabytes! No doubt that in time a terabyte will get me a full-sized, talking, 3-D animated Kink the Cat that eats full-sized 3-D Kat Snax.

Now, that will be cool!

No comments: