LONDON - A 22-year-old man suffered internal injuries after lighting a small firecracker he had inserted into his buttocks, paramedics said today.
The incident took place Sunday, when Britain celebrated Bonfire Night, traditionally marked with fireworks to celebrate the Guy Fawkes' gunpowder plot to blow up Parliament in the 17th century.
The man suffered burns and other unspecified internal injuries in the incident in Sunderland, 275 miles north of London.
Several of the man's friends recorded the incident on a mobile phone camera. The blurry images show a man bent over with his pants down and a white flash as the firecracker explodes.
I may be going out on a limb here, seeing as the article did not go into a lot of detail, but I'm going to suggest that perhaps, just perhaps, alcohol was involved at some point during the evening prior to the detonation. Furthermore, prior to and after the detonation the victim was feeling no pain.
Just a guess.