Thursday, April 26, 2012

Time Passes Quickly ...

... and chances are few.

That's the refrain from a great song by Toto that summarizes this Spring!  It seems only yesterday that we were popping corks and shouting, "Happy New Year!"  Now, here we are at the end of April

That sentence doesn't even deserve punctuation.  The end of April.  How about a sentence fragment?  The sentiment is the same;  it's the end of April and here we are embarking on another summer having hardly enjoyed the winter.

Ah, winter.  I had no chance to throw a snowball mainly because it doesn't snow in Houston all that often.  I had no chance to wear a hunky, LL Bean coat because it never got very cold.  I had no chance to curse drivers who couldn't navigate slick streets because our streets were dry and frost free.  So, winter, I had no chance.  Poor me!

Spring, I had a chance to get laid low by pollen, but that didn't happen.  I had a chance to drown in torrential rain, but that didn't happen.  I had a chance to get carried away by an army of fire ants, but that didn't happen, either.  Spring, I had no chance.  Poor me!

Will summer pass as quickly?  Well, if past summers are any indication, yes.

It.  Will.  Pass.  Quickly.

The summer of 2007 was a "big summer" for me but it passed half a decade ago and the "big summers" of 2010 and 2011 are gone similarly.  In a blink it will be Christmas, again, and I'll deck the halls like it was 1999.

Which it was.

Not that long ago!

I think that at this accelerated time during which I'm obviously being pulled into a black hole that I must take the time, make the time, stop time (somehow) to relish the moment, capture the instant and take the chances that are so few.  They will only come once and if I miss them they will transform into regrets.  Life is too short for that!

I'll take my lesson from Kink the Cat who moves from the back of the house to the front of the house as the Sun creeps east to west.  Kink knows where sunlit warm spots are in the house and he never wastes time, never lets time pass to quickly or miss those few chances to lay in the sun and dream of lizards, birds, squirrels and chin scratches.

Kink never heard of Toto but he could have written that song.

No comments: