Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Lamz

Whew! It's been a while.

Here's an update.

Some time ago we bought a lamb from a high school student who is a member of the Future Farmers of America club. One of the things club members can do is raise an animal for ultimate auction and a possible prize. Students learn that raising an animal isn't easy.

There are food problems, disease problems, parasite problems and all sorts of problems. Also, the student is responsible for the feeding of their animal. Nobody's going to do it for them.

In short, it's a chore. And a half.

Fast forward, we bought a lamb raised by a student, but one that didn't place at the Animal Fair. We had the lamb "processed" at a local butcher and by all accounts it's a fine lamb. We have a freezer full of ribs, chops, "ground lamb," legs, back, and more ribs.

So, tonight I was given the command from afar to do Moussaka. A ground lamb dish with spices, tomatoes, eggs and eggplant.

We had all the ingredients except one: tomatoes. Also, I couldn't remember the exact recipe so I was concerned about returning home with roma tomatoes and not "something else."

There I was in the Kroger's parking lot with my iPhone. I cued up Google Mobile App and spoke at the tone: moussaka recipe.

In an instant Google directed me to a Greek cooking website with a recipe listing the ingredients needed. It was a slightly different recipe than I've used before, requiring Greek cheese and breadcrumbs, but the basics were there.

I was saved.

More than that I decided to go with the new recipe and it's in the oven.

Smells great.

Thank you iPhone. Thank you Google.

And thank you Unknown High School Student who raised such a fine and tasty lamb. I'd invite you to dinner but I don't know who you are!

No comments: