Sunday, December 12, 2010

Orangette






My good friend, Molly, is the most talented person I know. She writes a blog, writes a column in Bon Appetit, runs a restaurant and authors books. Where does she get all this energy?

I think it's from Orangette, which is the name of her blog!

I decided to make orangette this weekend. I needed oranges, sugar and chocolate. What could go wrong with that!

Here's the blueprint:


Oranges
Sugar
Chocolate (semi-sweet drops did the trick)

Cut off the orange peel into strips. Boil them in water for 10 minutes. Refresh the water and boil them twice more. Meanwhile make a sugar syrup out of 3/4 cup sugar dissolved in 1/2 cup water. Boil the peel in that for about 15 minutes. Remove peel and place on a rack to "set" for about a day. They say an hour, but it takes much longer for the peel to dry.

Then dip the sugared peels into melted chocolate and you're done. It's messy.

No comments: