Thursday, November 04, 2010

Rushin' Chili

Not Soviet style, just done in a hurry.

I threw some stuff together to make a chili for a blustery, cool-ish day here in Houston and it was Out-Stand-Ing! The chili, not the day.

Here's the blueprint:


2 lbs beef
2 onions, chopped
3 jalapenos
5 tomatillos
1 box chopped tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
garlic powder
ancho chili powder
salt
dried chopped onions
cumin powder


I fried up the chopped onions, then added the beef chopped into half-inch cubes, added the chopped jalapenos and tomatillos, tossed in some water, the chopped tomatoes and stirred it all up. Then I added the spices, adjusted the water and put it under pressure for 30 minutes or so.

Then I reduced the pressure, added the tomato paste, tasted it (OK!) and put it under pressure for another 30 minutes. Finally, I just let it sit for 20 minutes while I got other things organized.

Result: El Perfecto!

My rule of thumb is that all a chili needs is 2 hours of cooking. The rest is fate.

The Fates graced me tonight.

No comments: