Saturday, November 05, 2016

Ryan 3

New Message

Dear Zöe,

This is a little difficult for me to write but I want to be open with you and avoid any misunderstanding.  What I’m going to tell you was just dumb luck or bad luck or karma, whatever,  and I want you to know that it was totally unplanned.

Since you told me you were unavailable that night I decided to eat dinner at the hotel rather than go out on my own.  You know how I hate eating in a restaurant alone.  I’d rather skip a meal than do that.  Like the old SNL sketch with Steve Martin it seems that restaurants put single diners in the middle of the room with a spotlight on them.  “Look, this guy’s eating alone!”  Hate the spotlight.

But, in the end I decided WTH and drove over to Pico’s.  Fortunately, the desk asked me if I’d prefer a table or a booth and, of course, I chose “booth” and one on the far side of the room away from the lights.

It’s an understatement by a mile to say I was surprised to see you walk in with what I guess was your date.  I’m sure I did a double take, my heart leapt into my mouth in the onset of a panic attack.  I wanted to slip under the table or pull out Harry Potter’s invisibility cloak - anything  - rather than be seen by you.  

Of all the joints in all the towns in all the world, you walked into mine.  There was nowhere for me to go, nowhere to hide, and it was only a matter of time before our eyes locked and then what?  I don’t know then what.  I was saved by the host who guided you into another room.

Well, that was it for me.  Although my food had not yet arrived, I called over the waiter and told him I had a emergency at the hospital.  That I was on call, and handed him my credit card.  He waved it away saying that dinner was “comped” and wished me and my patient luck.  I was free to go.  And go I did.  I pulled out my cellphone, put it to my ear to hide the side of my face, removed my glasses and bolted out the door without stopping.  I had to walk completely around the restaurant to get to my car to avoid you seeing me from a window, had been looking.

In reflection I acted like a total idiot.  I know you have your life and you have friends and maybe relationships and you don’t need to tell me everything you are doing.  Still, though, it put me off balance.  I overreacted.  So, I just wanted to let you know the situation in case you did know that I was at the restaurant and why I left so abruptly.  But, I’m OK.  Really, I am.

Send or Delete > delete




New Message

Zöe,

Another boring “travel” dinner alone, but at least the food was good.  Hope your evening was better.  Now we have two rain checks!  Ha.

Ryan

Send or Delete > send


No comments: