Tuesday, November 06, 2012

That Guy

I drove home listening to the news on the radio.  Election results were coming in.  Four more years couldn't be any worse than the previous four years, or could it?

I didn't want to think about it.  The campaigns had been contentious, the incumbent was steady, true and boring and the challenger was all Rah Rah USA!  USA!

The mid-East was in turmoil and the economy was a mess.  I just hoped I'd have a job and be able to afford gasoline.

They can all rot, I thought, just let it be over.

In the end I just gave up and voted for a third party candidate, unwilling to support either of the main guys.  I knew it was a throw-away vote but I figured the non-side was more tolerable than the winning or losing side.

Finally, the results came in and I couldn't believe that guy won!  Surly the country was doomed and I might as well move to France.  They speak French there, right?  Better get a Berlitz book next time I'm at the book store.  Mental note.

Yep, times were a-changing when a guy like this could get elected president.

As I drove home that November night in 1980 I wondered what the future would bring with that actor guy, Ronald Reagan, as president.

We'll see, I thought, we'll see.

No comments: