Friday, November 27, 2015

Fabienne and the Green Tree

One fine sunny day when the air was crisp and not a cloud in the sky Fabienne went for a walk in the woods.  Not very deep into the woods, but just along the edge.  On a good day she might see a squirrel or a rabbit and there were always birds flying around.

Fabienne came to a clearing in the forest that was wide and totally empty except for a large, green tree right in the middle.  Fabienne had never seen such a large green tree and she was puzzled.

"I have never seen such a large green tree," Fabienne said to nobody in particular.

"Well, now you have," said Green Tree.

"I beg your pardon, Green Tree," Fabienne said giving a slight curtsey, "but I've never met a talking tree, either!"

"Well, now you have," said Green Tree.

Green Tree continued.  "You see, most trees are grey or brown but not me.  I'm green!  But that's not my secret.  Walk around the other side of me and tell me what you see."

Fabienne walked around Green Tree and was astonished to find that he was only green on one side.

"Why, you're only green on one side!" exclaimed Fabienne, "Why is that?"

"I'm a special kind of tree called a compass tree.  My green side points north.  If you are lost in the woods you can look for a compass tree and it will tell you which way you need to go."

"Hmmmm," said Fabienne, "I don't know my compass directions so how would I find my way home?"

"Easy," said Green Tree, "you found me by walking this way."  And Green Tree waved a branch in one direction.  "So to get home you need to go back that way," Green Tree said, waving a branch in the other direction.

Fabienne saw that it was getting late so she bid farewell to Green Tree and by following his directions found her home.

"Actually," Fabienne thought, "I can always find my home because it smells like warm cookies."

And she was absolutely right about that!


No comments: